QUESTIONS TO RAISE BEFORE A SC TREATMENT
1. Is this treatment part of a registered clinical trial?
2. Is this treatment routinely applied to this medical problem?
3. What alternative exists to this treatment?
4. If I agree to follow this treatment, will it affect my decision in the future to enter an official clinical trial or to follow another treatment?
5. What benefits can I expect, how will those benefits be evaluated and for how long?
6. What special care or medication will I need after treatment?
7. What is the source of the stem cells with which they will treat me?
8. How will they be identified, isolated, treated?
9. How will they be transplanted?
10. If the cells are not mine, how will rejection be prevented?
11. What scientific evidence exists about the benefits of my treatment? In what clinical trial was it validated? What results were obtained in this clinical trial? What scientific publications exist about it?
12. Is there any external control or regulation on the treatment offered to me?
13. Is there any official accreditation of the clinic where I will be treated and the facility in which the cells will be processed?
14. Has this treatment been approved by a national or international regulatory agency, such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the European Medicines Agency (EMA)?
15. What risks and side effects does this treatment have or can it have? Is there evidence or information about long-term risks or side effects?
16. What should I do in case of side effects? Who can I go to? Which institution or person will take care of my follow-up? During how much time?
17. Is the clinic prepared to handle an emergency case (eg serious allergic reactions)?
18. Which doctor is responsible for the entire process? What is his qualification?
19. What rights do I have as a patient? (confidentiality, information, right to withdrawal of treatment, right to follow-up in case of withdrawal of treatment).
20. What compensation are I entitled to in case of serious effects of the treatment? What type of insurance will I have?
21. What is the total cost of the treatment? What does this cost include? What would be the cost of an extra treatment in case of serious effects? Who would cover this extra cost?